9/26/2008

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-700 million

This post brought to you by the number:

12




What's going on today? Let's look through Adam's shared RSS feed!


"Normally, this is a process that would take months — years."

Instead, the law is being worked out, live on television, over the course of a few days.

NPR, quoting the chief lobbyist for the Financial Services Roundtable, Scott Talbott


And here are some other delicious quotes about the wisdom of this bullshit bailout. I can't believe this shit. And once again the democrats are lining up. These truly are incredible times; I know, because I find myself agreeing with the republicans on the matter. Wall Street? Can it! They want the free market, now they got it. Of course, it hasn't been truly free for a long time now.

Seriously though, any elected official who votes for this bailout, any official who in any way sends any further money to these jokers, is on my list. As I paraphrase from an economist, (whose name and literal words I am unable to find at the moment) 'this is not a plan to help the financial organizations, this is a plan to help the poorly run financial organizations.' Credit is our new great commodity, and it is the tool by which Americans are oppressed daily. If those who invented such commodity derivatives were unable to see when they pushed their vectors too far, then that is their problem.

I promise, that any elected official who votes to support this bailout will never receive my vote again. Not for school board, not for dog catcher. This is the Iraq War all over again. People who knew warned that it was a bad idea; and then it was voted into existence anyway. Then later, when it fails, it's, "oh, we were misled! We had false information! The people who would benefit by what we did lied to us!" Bullshit. You are responsible. I guess I can take heart in the fact that this $ 700 Billion isn't could to be used to explicitly murder people, but the money is gone. Meanwhile, the nations highways and dams are falling apart. But for god's sake, let's preserve our financial (i.e. fake, derivative, oppressive) infrastructure! And don't give me that crap that without credit, nothing would get built. You give me $700 billion, I'll build you a road. You give it to failing banks, we'll still have potholes.

Anyway, on the lighter side of things, here is a very nice MA thesis about what sort of cosmic singularities you can expect on December 21, 2012, in the views of people who have experimented with heavy doses of psychedelic drugs.

I've found the subject fascinating for awhile from many perspectives: the history of astrology and calendar systems, the millennial and apocalyptic theories, and the multitude of different, yet very similar "prophetic" visions that people experience while under heavy doses of plant matter that occur naturally on the earth. The article sums up the theories in one, mostly unbiased article that seeks to inform rather than proselytize. A bit long for someone who doesn't have any interest in the subject perhaps, but hey, at least its not about credit markets!

And lastly, the number twelve. As in the number of months in the year, the number of eggs in a dozen, and as in the high score of the most educational pinball game around. In the course of my job I often end up counting the same number over and over again. Counting into stacks of tens, or twenty-fives, etc. I've gotten pretty good at it--so good, in fact, that I can sing the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 song in my head while still counting correctly to another number entirely. I love that Seasame Street bit; what a truly brilliant show. I consider that bit no small part of how I was able to adapt so easily to base-12 math in Europe, (where the times-table goes up to 12 x 12, rather than 10 x 10 like in the States). And the best part is, twelve is a number that is not 700 billion.

Scroll back up to the top and watch it again, it all its seizure and psychedelic-apocalypse inducing glory.

No comments: